Honestly, my husband and I have never been too crazy about Silvester. The city is always too crowded and there is no place to sit or even stand relaxed to enjoy your drink or whatever… it´s just not our favourite day of the year. That`s why we decided to stay away from stress and make Silvester enjoyable for us. I know, it might sound a bit boring, but we are also out of our twenties… so I assume it’s allowed. 😉
For us, the 31st of December starts very early in the morning – strolling through the city and buying lucky charms. The first drink, in our case a cold beer, is taken after a relaxed lunch with friends or family (whoever has time to hang out). Then it´s time to organise the ingredients for the Silvester Night – mostly spending at home with friends or family. This year we decided to make something Mexican as we love spicy food and of course Tequila… sounds like quite a good plan. Searching for recipes I stumbled over a low carb Taco Shell dish. To make sure it really works I tested it already two weeks before. See the cheesy result below.
INGREDIENTS for 4 servings
- 500 g grounded beef
- 500 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 chili
- Salt & pepper
- Chili flakes
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- Sour crème or yoghurt
- 2 avocados
- Green sliced jalapenos from glass
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 170 °C.
- Place a handful cheddar cheese, in a circle, onto a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the cheese are golden brownish.
- Let the cheese cool down for 2-3 minutes. Then lift it up and place it over the handle of a spoon or other utensil that is balanced on two cups.
- Let cheese cool down completely. Then remove.
- While you continue to bake your cheese taco shells place the ground beef and one sliced tomato into a pan over medium heat – cook it until it is completely through.
Start preparing the sauces (I prefer fresh homemade sauces but you can also buy them)
- Guacamole: Use an immersion blender to blend the avocados, juice of a lemon and salt & pepper to taste, until smooth.
- Chili Sauce: Blend one can of tomatoes, one fresh sliced tomato, one fresh sliced chili, chili flakes, salt & pepper to taste, until smooth.
- Add meat to taco shells and your favourite toppings. I used sliced onions, fresh sliced chili, jalapenos from glass, sliced tomatoes and a sprinkle of guacamole and chili sauce.
Tip: A Tequila shoot with lemon and salt goes perfectly with the dish. 😉
Wish you all a Happy New Year 2017.
Cheers with sunbeams.