Short before the rainy season the Jordanian olive harvesting time starts. Unfortunately, until today, I didnÂ´t get the chance to be part of the procedure, but a Jordanian friend of mine told me all about it and of course, she brought me samples of cured olives to try. First time I tried them, I was surprised by the taste, but after a while, this kind of cured olives became one of my favourite Jordanian ingredient or snack in between. But, how to cure them? – It is totally easy but intense. First of all, the olives need to be ripe â€“ then you need to break or cut every single olive by hand (this is the intense part) since it helps to get a fuller taste. Then put the olives together with sliced organic lemons and sliced green hot chillies into a preserve can, and let them rest for a few weeks. These olives are fantastic as a cold dish combined with some Halloumi Cheese or with the Chili Rice recipe below.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â INGREDIENTS for 4 servings
- 250 g basmati rice
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 fresh hot chilies
- A handful of dry tomatoes
- 500 g tomato sauce
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- A bunch of fresh basil
- 200 g Feta cheese
- 20 pieces cured (Jordanian) olives
- 1 organic lemon
- Black tea and some fresh mint leaves
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â INSTRUCTIONS
- Cook the rice (2 cups rice = 4 cups water) with a pinch of salt.
- Cut the chilies, dry tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and a handful fresh basil into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the fresh tomatoes, cook them until the water is almost absorbed.
- Then, add the chilies, dry tomatoes and the fresh basil and let them cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes sauce and the pressed garlic, cook for 20 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the lemon into slices and the Feta cheese into small bite size pieces.
- After it is finished cooking, serve the rice with the tomato sauce, Feta cheese, some fresh basil, the lemon slices and the cured olives.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Tip: Sprinkle the meal with some olive oil and some fresh lemon juice.
Enjoy the meal with black tea and fresh peppermint leaves.
Cheers with sunbeams.