I guess just by nature we love the fresh fried calamari taste when on vacation by the sea? At least I am definitely one of them. The smell of a fresh fish catch and foreign languages spoken… hmmm that´s vacation feeling. But because I´m too impatient to wait for the next holidays to come I decided to try those delicious Calamari Fritti at home. To pimp the dish I choose sweet potato chips for side. Of course, not to forget a bottle of white wine – it’s simply necessary,).
The first round of fried calamari’s went perfectly delicious, but the second round not that much. I found out later, the failure was that I coated all calamari-pieces in the almond flour in one turn – and let the second round wait until the first round was fried. It’s important that the calamari, after coating, get directly in the pan to fry.
INGREDIENTS for 4 servings
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced by using a mandolin
- 800 g squid , cleaned and cut into 2 cm rings
- 100-200 ml milk
- 2-3 eggs
- 200-250 g almond flour
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 250 g natural yoghurt
- 300 g sour crème
- A handful chive, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 organic lemons
- Place the slices of sweet potatoes on paper towels and let them dry for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Then drizzle them with a mix of olive oil, vinegar and salt and place them onto baking tray and leave them in the preheated oven for 15-25 minutes until the center soft and edges crispy.
- Meanwhile combine the milk and egg in a bowl; mix with a fork until lightly beaten. Put the calamari in the mixture and let it chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Start preparing the sour crème sauce by combining the natural yoghurt with the sour crème, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, a handful of chives and the garlic. Put into refrigerator until needed.
- Pour about 200 ml of sunflower oil in a fryer or large pot and heat it up.
- Meanwhile put the almond flour on a plate, season with a fair amount of salt and pepper and toss the calamari in the flour to coat.
- Fry the calamari for 2-4 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, sour crème sauce and sweet potato chips on side.
Cheers with sunbeams.