As much as I avoid heating up the oven during summer time â€“ I appreciate its warmness during winter time. Also in Jordan summer has gone and the days are getting colder. In my case it means the desire for baked goodies is getting stronger. Homemade flatbread can be ready in less than ten minutes with no fancy ingredients and no bread maker needed. All you will need to get this dish a delicious one are your hands and some of your favourite ingredients. See my version with filling ingredients below.
Â Â Â Â Â Â INGREDIENTS for 4 servings Â
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â For the flatbreads:
- 20 g fresh yeast or dry yeast
- 250 g flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 125 ml warm water
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â For the topping:
- 250 g red onions
- A handful fresh parsley
- 1 red hot chili
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 250 g mince beef
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g labaneh or sour crÃ¨me
- 2 tbsp. of chili flakes
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â INSTRUCTIONS
- Start preparing the dough for the flatbread by mixing the flour, yeast, half of the water and the olive oil until well combined. If the dough gets too dry pour the rest of the water until the dough gets soft but not sticky. Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes until it is soft and smooth.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover it and let it rise until doubled – about half an hour.
- In the meantime start preparing the toppings. Start by cooking the minced beef over medium heat until it is completely and well done; salt and pepper to taste. Then put it on side until needed.
- Chop the red onion, red hot chilies, lettuce and fresh parsley so they can be used later as the topping for the flatbread.
- Preheat oven to 200 Â°C.
- When the dough is ready separate it into 4 pieces and then roll them out to your optional shape. Then leave them in the preheated oven for around 5-10 minutes. (Depends on your oven).
- Remove the baked flatbreads from the oven and sprinkle them with some labaneh or sour crÃ¨me and finally top them with some cooked minced beef, red onions, red hot chilies, lettuce and fresh parsley.
Cheers with sunbeams.